Tumeric Tea Recipe
As we prepare to cut the ribbon on our African Provision Garden, we have noticed
that the turmeric is already ready for harvest. Turmeric has incredible health
benefits and works well in many dishes.
Active Time: 5 minutes. \\ Total Time: 20 minutes
This lightly spiced drink has an earthy, peppery base note thanks to a healthy dose of
fresh turmeric. A touch of honey adds just the right amount of sweetness, while the
ginger and black pepper add a little heat.
Makes 2 cups
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, preferably coconut milk beverage or almond milk
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 (1-inch) piece turmeric, unpeeled, thinly sliced, or 1/2 teaspoon dried turmeric
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece ginger, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Ground cinnamon (for serving)
Whisk coconut milk, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, honey, coconut oil, peppercorns, and 1
cup water in a small saucepan; bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer until flavors
have melded, about 10 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into mugs and top
with a dash of cinnamon.
Golden milk can be made 5 days ahead. Store in an airtight container and chill. Warm
Using fresh turmeric adds a clean, bright flavor to this drink, but dried turmeric can
be substituted when fresh is not available. Keep in mind that dried turmeric will settle
to the bottom of the mug, so stir well before drinking.